And so I wait…

I’ll say up front that I’m an impatient person. It’s a character flaw I’ve been working on for many years. I hate waiting. Unanswered questions drive me crazy, and “Will the cancer respond to the trial?” is a pretty huge unanswered question for me right now.

So here I am, waiting.


I found out there was cancer progression the first week in July. It’s the first week in August, and I haven’t started treatments yet. I discovered yesterday it’s going to be at least another two weeks, and possibly three before I can start the trial at The Angeles Clinic.

The progression was diagnosed via PET scan at UCLA. In the interim, I found a trial that looked like the best local choice, and moved my cancer care to The Angeles Clinic. As a part of the pre-trial screening, The Angeles Clinic did a new CT scan for the pre-test baseline. The updated CT shows a lot more radiation damage and inflammation, which I’d expect since I was on high-dose prednisone (which dramatically reduces inflammation) for the PET in late June and completely off it quite suddenly for the CT last week.

The trial also requires a biopsy before I can begin. The Angeles Clinic can perform a CT-guided needle biopsy on-site, but a CT-guided needle biopsy won’t work here: inflammation and radiation damage make it impossible to see exactly where to biopsy on CT. That means I need a bronchoscopy (or mediastinoscopy), which is outpatient surgery and not provided at The Angeles Clinic.

So it’s back to UCLA for the biopsy. I have an appointment on Monday with the thoracic surgeon who performed my bronchoscopy last year. If we can get the bronchoscopy scheduled for next week as well, there’s a chance I could start the trial the following week but it’s more likely to be the week after.

Instead of focusing on the delay, I’m choosing to focus on the very good news to come out of the screening tests. It’s been a month since the PET that showed new nodules on my lung, and a full-body CT shows not just the view-blocking inflammation and radiation damage to my right lung… but nowhere else they could biopsy. Over a month, the cancer still doesn’t seem to have gone beyond that lung, and the brain MRI was clear. That’s great news, and it makes the delay a little easier to deal with.

Dealing with the delay isn’t about finding distractions to make the time pass more quickly. It’s about acceptance. All I can change is what’s in my control. I can be proactive about scheduling, ask questions, do research, and take steps to help myself like taking supplements.

Beyond that, I am where I am. And so I wait.

Related Posts

Be Your Own Advocate

I routinely encounter folks dealing with serious illness (mostly cancer, in my circumstances) who accept whatever the first doctor they meet tells them, even if what they’re told is that there is no hope. I

Read More »

Head and Neck Cancer Awareness Month

April is head and neck cancer awareness month! Be aware of the causes and symptoms, summarized in the graphic at the bottom. For me, it was a swollen lymph node below my jaw that didn’t

Read More »

Clinical Trial Math

Clinical trial math example: Monday + every two months = time to start worrying about my scan the following Monday. Tuesday + pain below my right ribs = worry about that AND the scan the

Read More »

My Best Days Are Ahead Of Me

Last year, I was in the hospital from chemo for my birthday, not knowing the cancer would blossom again months later. This year, I’m walking around San Francisco–short of breath sometimes, but walking–looking forward to

Read More »

Unpredictability and Patterns

The every-other-week treatment schedule has become habit at this point. In at 7:45 am, IV and blood draw, discussion with the trial nurse, meet with Dr. Ani, get the blood test results, then infusion and

Read More »

Speaking Out and its Price

I’m exhausted and stressed and sad and angry. I try to keep my posts here focused and positive, but it’s really hard at this point. I was contacted last week by the Organizing Director of

Read More »